6.11.2010

Weekend Sewing : Everything Tote

This book was my birthday present to myself. I checked it out from the library a while back and determined it was a book that clearly fell into the Need category. I love it, love it, love it. Which is funny because I generally dislike following a pattern. But I'm working on that. It's truly amazing how nicely things turn out when you actually follow instructions and don't just wing it. But that's beside the point.

I've got a whole list of things I want to make in here, but colliding time, inspiration, and the perfect fabric. (if I'm going to the effort to follow a pattern, I better be loving what it looks like when I'm done) Well, those things aren't colliding near as often as I'd like.






The first thing I made from Weekend Sewing was a bag. Because I don't already have enough large bags?


Either way, I found this really giant chunk of striped canvas-like material in the as-is section of IKEA. It was some sort of furniture cover and was really odd shaped with all sorts of velcro and straps all over it. I saw it and instantly knew it was destined to become my bag. I came home so excited and then realized I had nothing to line it with. But then I remembered the turquoise bed skirt I had also purchased in the as-is section because it was just too pretty to pass up. Out came the scissors and a few hours later it was complete. What a way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon.

I love the pockets. They are just the perfect size. Phone on the right. Keys, grocery list and pen on the left. Perfect.


The handles are ugly. I'll be honest. Lining a thick canvas with a very thin satiny fabric wasn't my brightest idea yet, especially when you have to turn the handles through. It didn't go so well and I had to go back and zig-zag all the way around to get them to stay. But the size and shape of the handles is perfect and oh-so-comfy to carry.


Next time I will gather the curve under the handles quite a bit more. I like the gathered look, plus I think it would be a nice way to shrink up the giantness of the bag just a little.




Yep, there it is. Pretty cute, huh?

When we leave the house, it usually looks like this.......


.......but not to worry all that extra space is quickly filled with coats, snacks, water bottles, groceries, etc., etc.

I love how totally different this bag can be with a little change of fabric and a bit more gather. The weight of the corduroy makes it feel like an entirely different style of bag too.

I especially love that it cost me about $2 to make. (My husband says it was more like $62, but I prefer $2. I considered my time and energy to be free.)

1 comment:

danc said...

It looks AWESOME! Leave it to Jeremy to "do the math" and what it "actually" costs. HA HA! I agree with your calculations:)
TTFN
Darlene