6.01.2010

What's in a blog?

What is the point of a blog anyway? I ponder this important question all the time. I like having a blog, but sometimes it seems kind of silly. Sure, I like to read what people are up to in their day to day, but I generally don't like to record what I'm up to in my day to day.

I like posting about my kids, because they're pretty funny, and I'm really bad about calling family or sending recent pictures of the kids to them. A blog is the ultimate keep in touch... here's what the kids are up to.... venue, as far as I'm concerned.

A blog is defined as a "shared on-line journal where people can post diary entries about their personal experiences and hobbies".

That kind of fits, but it seems as I look over my blog that my posts aren't generally about anything personal or really relevant to my own hobbies. I definitely post things in waves too. I get in a rut and post the same types of things for weeks and weeks and then switch to something new. And it's not usually because it's a topic I'm insanely excited about, it's mostly because I've got myself in to some sort of obligatory blogging gig. Book Reviews, for example. Recipes, for another.

Nothing on this blog really represents what I spend the majority of my time doing. Which is OK, but awkward, for me anyway. It seems like a really strange representation of myself.

Which brings me to my point. (Wait? There was a point? I didn't see it coming either....... don't worry.) I think this is possibly the most random, disjointed and purposeless blog there is in existence. And I am ready to embrace that aspect of it and jump in with two feet to blogging more regularly. Which is fitting.

Why is that fitting? Well, I've always been the kind of person that has their hand in everything possible all at once and can do well at whatever I'm trying, but I've never been Great at anything, always just good enough at lots of stuff.

So why should I try to create a crafty blog when there are plenty of amazing craft blogs like this or this.

Photography (which is a joke for me) can be found amazingly done here or here.

Good thoughts and advice abound from these ladies and this dear friend.

My most favorite recipes usually come from this place.

Plus blog land is full of amazingly talented people sharing their skills and ideas and encouragements all over the world. I love finding new ones and exploring favorites, though I make extra effort not to "follow" people I don't actually know because sometimes that can feel creepy.... unless of course they have such insanely amazing ideas or link to new amazing blogs all the time, then of course I have no choice but to follow them and glean from their expertise.

And that, is my rambling for the day.

Bottom Line: Blogs are odd.

Surely, more oddly impersonal posts to come.

1 comment:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Thanks for the link, Emily! I love your blog, and I'm always so excited when you share something new.

Speaking of "impersonal posts"... could you/would you write a "personal" one? I think your testimony would be perfect in my Journey of Blessing series (focusing on marriage) this month, if you want to share.

Miss you, friend!
Michele :)