3.20.2009

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary...

...How does your garden grow? Hopefully better than last year, that's for sure.

I've never considered myself a gardener. Although I would love to have a big abundantly overflowing garden of fruits, veggies and flowers. I can blame it partly on the fact that we've moved every summer for the past 7 years and so we've never really had the chance to establish anything.

One year we bought a couple $5 whisky barrels at a Home Depot grand opening and planted some vegetables in them. The peppers seemed to be surviving our neglectful watering system, but then the dog decided to have them for a snack one afternoon.

Another year we tried the straw bale approach, which worked like a charm in Jeremy's grandmother's amazing garden. Interesting thing about that is that it probably helps to actually research a method before attempting it. We tossed those poor plants straight into the straw and I'm pretty sure we just burned the heck out of their little roots when the straw bale started to compost inside.

So here is this year's feeble attempt. They're already struggling after being left inside of our house and getting a little too warm. The dirt we planted them in has a little too much sand in it and this crazy weather will probably freeze them when it snows next week. But I am optimistic that this will be the year that our garden produces..........something.

1 comment:

DK said...

I don't know the first thing about gardening but some Starbucks give away (read: FREE) their used coffee grounds to use in your garden. I thought that was cool. :P